Protected Species Surveys
Licensing required for protected species work.
It is a legal requirement for a protected species survey to be conducted if initial surveys indicate species listed in Article 12 of the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations (Habitats Regulations) 2010 (as amended), or the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), are present on a development site.
Protected species surveys including:
- Great crested newts
- Water voles
Some species have standing advice with which we can use to help you with planning decisions.
Developers will also need to consider how their project may affect a protected area or neighbouring site. These are:
- National parks
- Areas of outstanding natural beauty
- Sites of special scientific interest (SSSIs)
- Special areas of conservation (SACs)
- Special protection areas (SPAs)
- Ramsar wetlands
- Sites in the process of becoming SACs and SPAs